Thursday, September 11, 2008

Final Words on Alex Smith

Alex Smith was put on the IR yesterday, ending his season and effectively his career with the 49ers. I think I've spoken my peace on the matter, I agree that he hasn't shown the promise of a number one draft pick, but think a lot of that is due to being put in a bad situation (poor offensive line play, lack of quality receivers, annual offensive coordinator shifting) with a horrible owner and a questionable head coach and then made the scapegoat by many Niner fans for not working miracles.

Mike Sando of ESPN agrees with my thesis, here's his piece on their website, Alex Smith never had much of a shot. Ann Killion of the San Jose Mercury News, agrees as well.

So good luck, Alex, I think a good career path is to follow Steve Young and serve as a number two to a quality quarterback on a playoff team, the obvious place being your home town team, the San Diego Chargers, where you'd reunite with the one coordinator that you showed potential under, Norv Turner (of course that's assuming he's not fired) and then looking for a starting job elsewhere after two seasons.

Like I said in my last article, I wasn't able to watch Sunday's game, I pretty much paid attention via NFL.com play-by-play coverage, so of course I missed some of the intricacies of the game, focusing on the hardline stats, once again Mike Sando of ESPN makes a case for JT O'Sullivan showing promise in his 49ers debut. So JT, you have my support, but again, I never thought anything particularly negative about him, just the franchise's infrastructure.

And everybody realizes that had we drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2005 we'd be having the same conversation, right?

1 comment:

Mummbles said...

if he does do good else where then it will sure be a slap in the face. i see him being a steve bono type career now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails